Thursday, September 10, 2015

The First Phase: Chapter 12

“Why on the moon’s name did you drench yourself in the lake?” asked Siena.

           Upon arriving to my family’s territory, Veann lead me to the lake, change my robes and left me to soak myself under the moonlight as he rid of the red stained dress. The lake was one of the oldest, and coldest area of our land. We Kuroli doesn’t change many things from the olden days. Be it the mansion, or the grand cottages our nobles live in, none of those was built new unless it was devastating in usage. 


           The lake has remained there ever since anyone could remember. Battles after battles were fought around here, and corpses have been thrown inside, buried near or burned in the middle. The lake lived through time, insisting on never getting smaller but larger each day, to the point that some elders joke that the end of Kuroli might be due to flooding. The lake even have its own scent. A stench, according to some ignorant nobles. They could never hear the heart of the lake beating, of its water living, nor the lake’s hunger.

          Veann was the one who taught me that. In one of our lesson, he explained the history of my family and the lands, and taught me that some belief that everything in this world has a beat. Lightly, he mentioned his suspicion that the lake might be alive. I never did bother his remark on anything that doesn’t have proof but as he washed me in the deep cold lake, I can feel it snicker at my just-discovery of its beating heart. Somehow I knew she was alive, telling me that she knew I wouldn’t be able to control my gift, and that she have known of them ever since I first play in her. It hurt me that she might be right and it angered me that my feelings are not hidden from her.

          Yet, my sharp tutor seems not to realize that his suspicion is real. All he knew is that the lake mysteriously erases all other scent from him when he needed it, and he found that I needed that now and wouldn’t question why he ever needed it. I wouldn’t even if he wanted me too. It’s obvious what lingering scent on him all these while that he wanted to hide. I wouldn’t tell him about the lake though, she seems to prefer ignorance in other beings.

“I know you’re used to being by yourself but do know that I am your elder sister and you will respond when I ask you a question,” said Siena with a finality.

“I was bored. I do it sometimes, it’s never a problem,” I replied.

          I don’t know why Veann didn’t dress me in dry clothes but I was too tired to ask. Amidst all the confusion of the night, I felt safe in my tutor’s decision. He might betray what I did to Kuran, but even when the knowledge haunts me, I still allow him to solve my dilemma for me. It was one part revenge for the sneering lake, and some part due to his already involvement and that I have no one else.  I dismissed the last part immediately.

“So why are you drenched too?” she asked my tutor.

“This time, Missus got in too deep, I had to get her out,” replied Veann.

Siena sigh. Either she knew she’s not getting the truth, or that I’m reckless and she’s worried, or any other reason, I wouldn’t know.

“Get dried. Don’t forget, you still have a guest. Mr Daem and his father won’t return till late so the boy will be here till then. Mom and dad is staying out tonight. He doesn’t speak much so I don’t know how to entertain him,” she said, hoping that I’ll provide some solution or suggestion.

I offered her none.

“Veann, after you’re both dressed, get Daem’s boy to your missus here and do whatever activity you’re supposed to do,” she said as she dismissed herself to the living hall with the others.

           After we’re both dressed, I ignored my tutor and buried myself in books. I wanted to rush into slumber but I didn’t want Veann to see more of my weakness than he already has. I couldn’t make most of the words but I continued to stare at the books anyway. When Veann finally left the room, I walked slowly to the side of the bed, absentmindedly sit next to the bed instead of on it, pull the  blanket close to me, and beyond control or reasoning, I sobbed.

           The fresh stream of cells were warm and exhilarating to the point that I wanted more of it. It wasn’t wrong to want more of my prey. It wasn’t. Yet the tears wouldn’t stop. There were two of them, still beating, their cells dancing with life. Those reds heard me. They argued with their fellows and some followed my instruction as I task them against their course. And then they stopped. I ordered them to stop. Against their will, against their nature, against their time, they still stopped because I ordered them to. I buried myself under the blanket, screaming soundlessly. It wasn’t Kuran’s order. It was mine.

           I wanted to drown in this weird agony but I then heard the door open. Daem’s boy walked towards the side of the bed with surety that I was there. I wasn’t able to adjust myself in time thus had to suffer the boy seeing me with my fresh stain of tears.

“I fell from the bed,” I muttered lamely.

He said nothing but offered me a hand instead. He helped me up and while I hoped he didn’t realize my shaky knees, got me to sit on my bed.

“So my sister said you don’t talk much and she doesn’t know how to entertain you,” I stated.

The boy shrugged. He awkwardly stood there and did nothing for a while.

“Well, I don’t care if you don’t talk. I prefer reading company anyway,” I said as I pointed towards the bookshelves in my study area, where Veann and I kept a mixed of human books and our lesson books.

The boy went to pick two books and offered me one of my history textbook. Half-heartedly, I took the book from him and started reading while he shamelessly seated himself on the floor leaning against the bed.

          Nearing dawn, he rose, put my book back on the shelf and went for the door. Even before he reaches the door, I was readying myself for bed. Just before exiting the room, he looked at me blankly as if waiting for me to say something.

When I offered him no goodbyes, he said in factual surety, “It did not escape me, you know - that you and your tutor both wore different clothes when you came home earlier.”

My headache return and my slumber was not a peaceful one.

No comments:

Post a Comment