Sunday, November 29, 2015

The First Phase: Chapter 13

“Check our mountain borders. Dispose of those that crosses it,” ordered Kuran on one of our catch-up session.

          Dispose. He’s telling me to get rid of anyone entering our territory. This pathetic being who’s been pretending to be so good to the humans. He knew the mountain border was where I patrolled. I’m guessing he knew of Veann’s attachment to one of the village.

“It has always been to dispose of hunters, and trick the others from entering. Why the sudden change of heart?” I challenged.

“Are you questioning me?” he asked softly.

“I asked a question,” I replied, unsure if he was amused or irritated.

“Well,” he said as walks toward the door. 
          Turning the knob, he continued, “Hearts can change. It’s difficult to have it stay at a place. I guess the word loyalty was invented to counter the problem with hearts.”


“You must love loyalty,” I commented, ignoring the door he left open.

“I admire those with loyalty,” he said with a rueful smile.

          Before I could say another word, he grab my shoulder and lightly beckoned me out of his office. Kuran’s two aides who stood guard outside stared, waiting for me to leave and get on with their king’s order.

          I left Kuran’s estate feeling incredibly annoyed. He practically shoved me out! Veann dared not ask of our conversation, though I’m not sure if he could sense impeding danger or if he’s simply terrified of me since that midnight walk.

          As soon as we reach Kuroli’s estate, I sent Veann off to the mansion with nonsensical reasons. I needed some space for a plan, and Veann besides me will just jeopardize it. He’s been going around my back once, and he could do it again. I’m sure he will since his village is at stake.

          Veann was my tutor, but he was sent by Kuran. Was Kuran angered by his act of choosing that village? Is this what he meant by loyalty? Was Veann not a loyal servant to him? Maybe his idiotic brain regards loyalty only in regards to his two pathetic aides. Those two are without brains, that’s why they followed him everywhere.

          Somewhere along my train of thoughts, I could hear a mocking giggle. I’m inside Kuroli’s estate, which servant have the blasphemy to mock me? I looked around and sense no trace of my family, nobles, hecons, or human. Still, there was a trail of living particles somewhere that’s mocking me. I move forward slightly to check if anything move with me but I couldn’t sense any movement. I knew it was there but it’s nowhere to be seen, or sensed. In my frustration, it giggled again, as if enjoying my struggle to find it.

          I stood, thinking absolutely nothing, and concluded that I was imagining things and wanted to walk back to the mansion. Just then, it groan with annoyance.

“Who are you?” I asked as softly as I could.

          Something whispered in my ear, but it wasn’t the nonsense words I couldn’t understand, or the coldness of the contact, not even the way the whisper drips in that gave away who she was. It was her stench. That menacing, know-it-all, arrogant and unfathomable stench of the lake who toyed with my frustration. Even in my frustration, I couldn’t help but answer to her queenly call.

          At first a step, then my pace quicken until I found myself gasping as I reach the lake. There she was, wide and majestic, still laughing at my ridiculousness. Something about her remind me of how authoritative Kuran always made of himself, but this lake, she made it feel like she have all of it, without any need for me or anyone else, she is still queen. Her chilling mist warms up just enough for comfort and I knew she was appreciative of my awe.

“You’re alive,” I said.

          Her surface bubbled in front of me, splashing some of the water to my face. It was her way of saying that I’m stating the obvious.

“Yes. That, I knew but- yes,” was all that I could manage. 

          So she was alive that night, and all the other night when Veann came to her to be rid of human scent. No, Veann was probably one of the few that I knew was having contact with humans. She knew more.

          The lady was clearly amused. She wanted something from me, was the only thing I could come out with after her long silence. That conclusion only irritate her.

“What is it that you want?” I ask aloud.

          The water rises, touching my toes. Sienna will ask a great deal later, I thought as I slowly allow the lake to pull me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment